Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Disappointment

And we know in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

My knee has been bothering my for at least 15 years, but with all of this extra running, it's been aching more than usual. I decided to go to an orthopedic doctor specializing in sports medicine today to get his opinion on what I should do about it. After multiple xrays and exams, he told me I should find another source of exercise and stop running. My heart sank. I could feel the tears welling up inside. The doctor and the nurse practitioner examined me separately and they both agreed that I have arthritis and flaking cartilage under my kneecap. It's a progressive problem and nothing can be done to correct it. All I was told I can do is treat the inflammation with medication & stop straining it.

My girls sensed something wasn't right this afternoon & asked me what was wrong. I was explaining why the news upset me and they didn't understand it until I said, "Pick one of your favorite things to do." Elise said climbing. I said, "It's like a doctor telling you you should never climb again." Her response was, "WHAT???" Exactly~

Yes...it's upsetting for me because I've grown to love running & I've had such great progress, but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude. I know that although it's very very disappointing, there's a reason why it's happening. I have to trust that God has a better plan for me.

As for the 10K...well...I may just go against doctors orders. If my knee can hold up that is.... Only 4 more weeks & 64 more miles of training... We'll see.

1 comment:

medina family said...

Well, I always hated running...but when you put it that way, as not being able to do something I love to do...it's so awful! I'm sorry you got this news right before the race! I know you'll make the right decision.