Saturday, May 22, 2010

Trash to Treasure!

My latest project was a chair redo for our living room. I've been looking for a chair to add to the room for a while, but didn't want something bulky. A few weeks ago, I found this chair at Goodwill for $15 and knew it had potential. I kind of liked the wood tones, but wanted something bold and with contrast, so I decided to paint it black. The first step was to remove the cushion. When I flipped the chair over to remove the fabric & screws, out popped a dollar in coins! So...really this chair only cost $14 :0).
Once the UGLY stained fabric was off, I took it outside to sand. I also recruited some help!

When the chair was sanded and wiped down, I put two coats of primer on it. This took all afternoon to dry because it was so humid out! I was hoping to finish this project in a day, but it never works out that way!
The next day I spray painted the chair black and upholstered the seat with fabric I found for $15. The upholstery part was SUCH a pain because I had to center the pattern and pull the fabric around the curve of the cushion. Although it took a few days to complete, I think it turned out pretty cool!! Now I'm thinking I need an updated coffee table. We'll see what I find :0).









3 comments:

Kim Lukitsch said...

very cool !

medina family said...

LOVE IT! You're awesome.

Chris & Kathy said...

Beautiful - what a great job (and a great little helper!)