Tuesday, March 2, 2010

It's Official!

So one of the things on my bucket list is to run a race. Well...on March 27th, I'll be running my first race ever! I officially signed up to run the Monument Avenue 10K!!! For those of you who knew me as a kid...I was NOT a runner. I used to cry weeks before having to do the 600 for the school's physical fitness tests. I was chubby and very slow. I remember always coming in last or second to last (if I ran with a friend with asthma...so sad I know!).

I've been running/jogging/walking now for 2 or so years and I've worked up to running 3 miles twice a week since the summer. I wanted to do the 10k last year, but I ended up in physical therapy for my foot & hip. I'm really hoping I don't injure myself this time!

My friend & I have been running together for a few weeks now and we just did 4 1/2 miles on Monday. It felt great! I think I could have gone further, but I had to fold a mound of laundry and mop the floor before preschool pickup :0).
I'm so grateful to have the time to train for something like this and I'm excited to do it! My goal is simply to run the entire thing! I'm not that concerned with time, although I did sign up to be in the 65-70 minute wave, so if I could make it in that time frame I'd be REALLY happy!

Only 3 1/2 weeks to go! Wish me luck :0)

2 comments:

medina family said...

That's great Darlene! I know you can do it. I can't get past the two mile hurdle.

Kim Lukitsch said...

You will do great !