Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Occoneechee State Park

Okay...this was truly our last campout for the season! It got down to 31 degrees which is a little too cold for me :0). Here are the kids all bundled up. They said, "Mom...we can't move!!!" Here's me right after waking up in the morning. I'm trying to show you that you can see my breath...that's how cold it was! Despite the cold, we had a fabulous time.












Occonneechee is a great park located only 1 1/2 hours from Richmond on Lake Kerr. I chose it because it had a visitors center with information on the Occonneeche tribe. The kids loved the framehouse that you could walk in, the animal hides, the clothing exhibit, and the arrowheads on sale for only $.50. They also had a framehouse hut outside and a nice short hiking trail along the old plantation house. It had signs along the trail that explained life on the plantation & where old buildings were located including an ice house & well.


We also spent time fishing, playing at the playground, and frolicking through the beautifully colored forest. The leaves were amazing. I found this one tree with brilliant yellow leaves & a dark almost black trunk. The leaves would float to the ground with the sun streaming through the branches...just gorgeous! I love this picture of Elise!!


It was a weekend with great history lessons and great fun!

2 comments:

medina family said...

what an awesome park! thanks for sharing it with us...I'm sure we'd love to go explore it sometime.

I can't believe it was that cold, and you guys slept out there!...actually it reminds me of my old house in Bolivia!

And that tree is beautiful.

Susan

Stacey said...

that is so nice. what a fun family you have!