Tuesday, February 22, 2011

10K Training


Yes...I'm doing it again! Can you believe it? I've been training for 6 weeks with the YMCA Swift Creek training team. It's been quite a ride so far, but I've been very pleased with my progress. I've gone from running 3-3 1/2 miles 1-2x a week to 4 or 5 miles multiple times a week. I'm also thrilled to have broken my speed record. I couldn't seem to break my 10 min mile average and the other day I ran 9 min 30 sec. I think I was in the zone, feeling great, and listening to one of Jerry's guitar solos :0). On the flip side, there have been days (usually in 20 or 30 degree weather) when my legs feel like concrete, everything hurts, and I just want to be home. It's definitely challenging to run 4-5 times a week!

I decided to sign up for the program this year to learn some running techniques from the coaches and to stay motivated. I was just planning on running by myself, but I met another mom who runs at the same level, teaches, and has girls. It's nice to have someone to chat with when you're running for 45 minutes :0).

So...my goal last year was to run the entire race. This year all I want to do is beat my time :0). We'll see!


One of our coaches sent this quote and I love it:

"You only ever grow as a human being if you're outside your comfort zone." Percey Cerutty

1 comment:

medina family said...

This is so great! I wish I could find the time...and the jogging stoller. I will. I think. I can.