Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tryin' Out Some Felt Art

Over the past few weeks, I've been sprucing up Elise's room to make it more big girl and less little girl....excuse me while I wipe a tear away. She used to have lots of fairies and pink & yellow. She said she wanted blue and animals. Hmmm.... I had to figure out how to add that w/out spending a lot of $! So...I got her a new turquoise quilt (marked down at Target to $10!!), a sparkly rug to match (on clearance at TJ Maxx for $10), new sheets (couldn't resist at $5!), a turquoise ribbon to hang her mirror ($2), new lime green sheer curtains ($5 a piece), and a new art piece which ended up costing $5. It's amazing what a difference it makes when you add a new color to a room. Before her room was warm and cozy, but lacking pizazz. Now with the blue, it adds dimension and a nice pop of happy!

Anyway...back to the art. Elise really wanted me to paint some animals on her wall, but I thought, "She's not going to like this in a few years!" So...I decided to take the canvas that used to hang on her wall w/ fairy fabric on it and put an animal on it. Here's how I did it:

1. I covered it in a blue & white polka dot fabric to add more blue in the room.

2. I had to decide which animal I would put on it and how to do it. She initially wanted a squirrel, but I wasn't so sure that would look right with all of the flowery things in her room. Thankfully, she decided on an owl!

3. Looked online for owl graphics and chose one to duplicate on paper.

4. Decided to make the owl out of felt (I already had tons of scraps to work with which made it FREE!)






5. Drew the owl on paper...made it symetrical by folding the shapes and trimming them. Cut out the shapes that I wanted to be different colors






6. Traced the shapes onto the felt colors. I chose colors already in her room.
7. Cut them out, layed them out how I wanted, and glued!






I think it turned out cute and Elise loves it, but I'm really thinking it needs a frame.
Hmmm...not sure I'll get to that right away :0). For now, it'll do!












2 comments:

medina family said...

looks great Darlene! Owls are so cute, too. Can you do my room :)

Kim Lukitsch said...

adorable !! you are so talented. Your kids are so fortunate to have such a creative Mom !